As a coach of this age group you can have a lifelong influence on the players. It is your job to introduce them to the wonderful game of soccer and show them why they will want to play it for the rest of their lives. As a coach you will be a role model, a hero and someone they will want to imitate. Therefore it is important that you:
- Keep instructions brief, due to short attention spans.
- Blend in with the players, young players love it when the coach is at the same level as them, relax, and have fun.
- Patience – young players will not always understand your instructions no matter how many times you say to them.
- Interact with them – everyone wants to feel important, young players are no exception, listen to their stories and go along with the jokes.
- Make drills FUN and EXCITING, they’ll respond better if you add a story to the game or if they think they are being their favorite character like “Sponge Bob Square Pants”.
- Change activities regularly to keep them interested, they will get bored with the same game for the whole session.
- Keep everything you say and do POSITIVE, players feed of positive attention.